Thursday, January 21, 2010

35 Years and a Little. Black. Dress.

So, I turn 35 today.

And I couldn't feel better about it.

I am in better shape today than I have been in the last 10 years +.

This morning I weighed in at 225 lbs. That's 71.4 pounds less than I weighed seven months ago.

I've been jogging -- JOGGING!-- three miles a day for a couple of weeks now.

And I'm NOT dead!

But, best of all -- and I realize how trivial and narcissistic this may sound -- but, I ZIPPED THE DRESS!

One of the key "mind tricks" I've been using as motivation throughout this process is to keep one piece of cute clothing, in a size ONE size too small, prominently displayed in my bedroom.

Shortly after Christmas, I found a cute little black cocktail dress in a size 16.

I have not been a size 16 since I was age 16. Maybe younger.

(Hey. I'm old now. My memory is fading.)

Anyway, the dress -- which, by the way, was a STEAL at just $3.40 at Target -- became my new "goal" dress. I didn't even try it on in the store, knowing full well that it could be months before it would actually fit.

When I brought home THE DRESS, I tried -- REALLY tried -- to try it on. This process involved a series of contortionist moves envied by full time circus performers. I grunted, squealed, and -- of course -- SCREAMED at my husband when he "just couldn't" zip it.

I was eyeing a can of WD-40 when I finally decided to give up.

The damn thing just. wouldn't. zip.

"Easter," I thought, "This dress WILL. FIT. by Easter."

And I hung it in the closet and hit the treadmill again.

Three miles a day for the past two weeks.

This morning, it zipped!!

(Without the help of my husband, by the way! Nothing says "I am woman. HEAR. ME. ROAR!" like being able to dress myself! YAWP!)

I still won't wear it in public, but I'm shooting for Valentine's Day. It's sleeveless, and we'll be in Arizona, so perhaps this will work.

Granted, we'll be with the kids, so I may be the only crazy woman in Chuck E. Cheese sporting a black cocktail dress, but, HEY, it's THE. DRESS.

Sure, by tomorrow I'll be one day closer to age 50 than I am to age 20, but the view from this "peak" is looking pretty good.

And -- if I do say so myself -- SO. AM. I!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!!

    Congrats on the dress - and frankly, what's the point of taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese if you can't wear a black cocktail dress while there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love ya, nik - i'm so happy for you. :) You are my inspiration this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a wonderful vision of you and Dave in Chuck E. Cheese wildly overdressed. You look phenomenal, and I'm glad you feel just as good, which is even more important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll post photos if your vision truly materializes, Mackenzie. They will be post-worthy, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete