Friday, December 11, 2009

On Clydesdales

I think Clydesdales are beautiful. I always have.

Years ago, my extended family used to gather at my grandmother's tiny house on the parade route of the local "Threshing Days" parade. It was the one time of year the extended family always gathered together. We ate, drank, and made complete fools of ourselves as the long, progression of parade entries went by.

We were known as the loudest house on the parade route. And (I think) the entrants appreciated our enthusiasm. My grandmother always got kisses from the politicians running for office. The younger cousins worked the parade participants for extra candy, stickers, pencils, and plastic visors.

My favorite part, however, was always the Budweiser Clydesdales. They were GIANT, and they clop-clop-clopped down the street like so many . . . . well, like so many Clydesdales.

It's probably this sweet memory of gatherings at my grandmother's house that recently saved my husband's life.

You see, my beloved husband, whom I now weigh LESS than for the first time in our married life, has informed me that I'm a Clydesdale.

This is NOT a term of endearment any dieting woman is likely to appreciate.

(In his defense, he called himself a Clydesdale, too.)

I THINK he was trying to be complimentary. You see, I've recently started jogging on the treadmill, and I'm toying with the idea of signing up for a 5K run sometime this spring. A former hack half-marathoner, my beloved husband took this new hobby of mine as an opportunity to "educate" me on some common running terms.

Apparently a Clydesdale in runner-speak is an overweight runner who moves with all the grace of a draft horse.

Oh, well. They're still gorgeous creatures.

Just like me.

It's been a good week. I hit 65 pounds down this week.

Current weight: 231. 4

Woot!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciated this post on so many levels. One ... I remember those parades with a lot of fondness. And I guess if I really wanted to relive any of those memories, my grandpa used to VIDEOTAPE the parades and then we'd watch them after the parade was over. Never quite understood that.

    And finally - you weigh less than your husband. I think I can totally get behind that as a future weight goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love your humor and your insight ...

    You are inspiring. What I enjoy is love and acceptance no matter the size. Clydesdales are beautiful! and so are beautiful people of all shapes. I admire your endurance and dedication to be healthy and active and well. Thank you!

    (I think I have been to the very same parades)

    ReplyDelete